Hello all,
Apologies for cross-posting if you already saw this. And I know it's likely to be way off what you do, but you might have an interest in it, given the use of email via Blackboard. Can you help me? If you can't, please just bin this.

We are working towards a portal implementation and the thorny issue of handling student names for email accounts (rather than id numbers) has arisen. We want to use forename+familyname. The question of very long family names has arisen and I have been tasked to discover what protocols / business policies are used by other universities.

For example, do you allow shortened family names on a case- by- case basis for names over a certain number of characters?

If you don't have the answer, I'd be most grateful if you could forward to someone who might.

Many thanks in advance.

--
Regards
Mark

Mark Gamble
Head of e-Learning
Learning Technology
University of Bedfordshire
Tel (+44)1582 489260 Fax (+44)1582 489259
Mob 07720 068605  Int ext 2260 / 6360 (mobex)