That's right, they are xml based.  Had similar problems myself before with
people who had Office 2003 installed, even though they had the Microsoft
XML converter pack installed.

I think it was solved in the end by a service pack upgrade for office
2003, though not sure if this applies in your case anyway.

Catherine