Over the years, studies/books on slavery/enslavement have focused mainly on the Black Atlantic, whereas the system was in force widely in China, India, Russia, and other countries until the 19th century, even in early the 20th. European nations seemed to have been the first to abolish the practice among their own people, but went on to hold millions of other nationals in bondage.

Yet, when the word ‘slaves’ or ‘slavery’ is mentioned most people think of Africans. This would not have been so if historians recorded the system as a worldwide disgrace, a crime against humanity. It was Africa and Africans who were focused on, to the general exclusion of the other nations who continued to enslave their own people. Africans were/are still stigmatised, and made to be perennially ashamed or pitied. African and African Caribbean children at school are often made to feel uncomfortable during lesson on the subject. Most of them would opt out of such classes if they could.   This would not be so if teachers present the subject as global disgrace, in a similar way as the children learn of human trafficking today.

That is why I am not happy about the National Maritime Museum’s material called ‘Understanding Slavery Initiative’. The material, widely available in schools, is about Africa and Africans, as though the system did not exist in a similar way among other nations. The material should be re-written with a wider remit that justifies the title (USI).

In a similar way the International Slavery Museum (ISM) in Liverpool gives the wrong message. It deliberately focuses on Africa and Africans to the exclusion of pre 20th century slavery and the slave trade within other nations.  There were plantations, etc in those countries also, and conditions were just as brutal.  The ISM name is highly misleading.

The truth of slavery and the slave trade in India has been covered up for too long. There are descendants today who can tell you a great deal of how their ancestors have suffered and died under the system, but their voices are ignored. Their history is silenced.

Britain had control of India, but had ignored slavery there until British abolitionists lobbied for change in the late 1820s and in the 1830s. That movement must be given much credit for the work done, and which continued into the 20th century.

English Heritage has a key role to play, as we can learn much from each other histories, and be better people because of it.

Arthur