I've shared a document with you called "2009-05-08 INTERNATIONAL NEWS
DIGESTED":
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhb7n34c_1097w7bvnpt&invite=1256586122 It's
not an attachment -- it's stored online at Google Docs. To open this
document, just click the link above. --- Dear Colleagues, It's a long
digest this week - exhibition, new things from IFLA, RLG and Library of
Congress, news about Avery and Getty Vocabularies, and so much more. Hope
you find it interesting and useful. Best wishes, Erica Foden-Lenahan Book
Library The Courtauld Institute of Art
2009-05-08 INTERNATIONAL NEWS DIGESTED

[ARLIS-L] Lydia Venieri - See No Evil
Friday, 1 May, 2009 17:21:29
Arezoo Moseni <[log in to unmask]>

Lydia Venieri
See No Evil

01 May - 24 June 2009
Art Wall on Third
The Art Collection, 3rd floor
Mid-Manhattan Library
40th Street @ 5th Avenue
New York , NY 10016
212-340-0871
Mon-Wed 9-9, Thu-Sat 10-6, Sun 1-5
01 - 31 May 2009
Art in the Windows
On view day and night

The Art Collection at Mid-Manhattan Library is pleased to present two
exhibitions of color digital photographs by the well-known multi-media
artist Lydia Venieri. In See No Evil she questions the media's distortion
of reality by how images of war and terror are represented, as she
juxtaposes hyper-realistic pictures of war taken from film-stills with the
images of children's dolls. These constructed photographs engage viewers in
a world addressing technology and human perception in relation to the
dissemination of images and information. Douglas Maxwell curator, art
critic and assistant professor of arts at New York University , will join
Venieri for an Artist Dialogue on Monday May 18th at 6:30 p.m. on the 6th
floor. The exhibition series Art in the Windows and Art Wall on Third are
curated by Arezoo Moseni.

[ARLIS-L] The Future of Auction Catalogs
Saturday, 2 May, 2009 19:19:58
Joan Benedetti <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Colleagues:

For those of you that collect auction catalogs, some interesting news from
today's NYTimes--
"For next week's spring sales, 10,000 of Sotheby's top clients received a
USB stick no bigger than a credit card, an e-version of the catalog, which
they can plug into their computers to read without being online. (They got
the print version as well.)  This tiny device is only one way that the
auction houses are downsizing their catalogs. Christie's has cut back on
color photographs and essays to make its catalogs thinner. And in addition
to its USB stick, when Sotheby's mailed the print versions of its Latin
American art sale catalogs earlier this week, it had shrunk them from the
traditional 8 1/2-by-11-inch format to 6 1/2 inches square."
On the other hand (from the same article)--
"While it is likely that online catalogs are the future for both companies,
bibliophiles may miss the collectible aspect of some past sales
publications. Christie's recent sale of art and objects belonging to Yves
Saint Laurent and his partner, Pierre Bergé, in Paris this winter, was
promoted with a boxed set of five catalogs, totaling 1,800 pages. The set
weighed 22 pounds and cost $290; its edition of 7,000 sold out weeks before
the sale. Copies are now for sale on eBay for $1,900.  And despite its
innovations, Sotheby's doesn't rule out lavish printed publications. 'If we
get a $100 million collection,' Ms. Middleton was quick to say, 'then we
will print whatever catalog we need to.' "
Obviously, print still has its privileges.  Here's the link to the full
article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/02/arts/design/02cata.html
Joan Benedetti

NEW IFLA Publication! nr. 138 - Library statistics for the 21st century
world
Monday, 4 May, 2009 10:31:09
Sofia Kapnisi <[log in to unmask]>

NEW IFLA Publication!

Just off the press as Nr 138 in the IFLA Publications Series:

Library statistics for the 21st century world
An international collaboration between IFLA, the UNESCO Institute of
Statistics and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has
developed standards for new library indicators for the twenty-first
century. The existing international library statistics were developed
nearly 40 years ago. This book presents the first results using the new
statistics, and look forward to the next steps. It also contains other
initiatives and developments in the fields of library statistics,
benchmarking and indicators.
Library statistics for the 21st century world
Ed. by Michael Heaney. Munich: K.G. Saur, 2009 (IFLA Publications Nr 138).
ISBN 978-3-598-22043-2

EUR 99.95 / for USA, Canada, Mexico US$ 140.00.
Special price for IFLA members EUR 75.00 / for USA, Canada, Mexico US$
105.00. *

   Also available as an eBook
Order:
K. G. Saur Verlag: www.saur.de
or
Rhenus Medien Logistik GmbH & Co. KG
Justus-von-Liebig-Straße 1
86899 Landsberg, Germany
Tel. +49 (0)8191 9 70 00-214
Fax: +49 (0)8191 9 70 00-560
For the USA - Canada - Mexico:
Walter de Gruyter, Inc.
P.O. Box 960
Herndon, VA 20172-0960, USA
Phone: + 1 (703) 661-1589
Toll free: +1 (800) 208-8144
Fax: +1 (703) 661-1501

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Foreword - Peter Johan Lor
Introduction - Ismail Abdullahi
Acknowledgements

Part 1-Africa
Introduction - Dennis Ocholla
Public Libraries - Isaac Kigongo Bukenya
Academic Libraries - Reggie Raju and Jaya Raju.
Special Libraries - Janneke Mostert
School Libraries - Robert Ikoja Odongo
LIS Education - Omwoyo Bosire Onyancha and Mabel K. Minishi-Majanja

Part 2-Asia
Introduction - Abdus Sattar Chaudhry and Chihfeng P. Lin
Public Libraries - Mei-Hwa Yang
Academic Libraries - Trishanjit Kaur
Special Libraries - Anthony W. Ferguson and Chihfeng P. Lin
LIS Education - Christopher S. G. Khoo, Shaheen Majid, and Chihfeng P. Lin

Part 3-Australia
Introduction - Stuart Ferguson
Public Libraries - Chris Jones, Philip Calvert and Stuart Ferguson
Academic Libraries - Anne Horn, Philip Calvert and Stuart Ferguson
Special Libraries - Sue Henczel, Gillian Ralph and Julie Sibthorpe
School Libraries - James E. Herring
LIS Education - Gillian Hallam and Philip Calvert

Part 4-Europe
Introduction - Leif Kajberg and Marian Koren
Public Libraries - Marian Koren.
Academic Libraries - Frédéric Blin
LIS Education - Leif Kajberg, Aleksandra Horvat and Esin Sultan Oðuz

Part 5-Latin America
Introduction - Filiberto Felipe Martínez-Arellano
Public Libraries - Elsa M. Ramírez Leyva
University Libraries - Filiberto Felipe Martínez-Arellano
School Libraries - Mary Giraldo Rengifo
LIS Education - Adolfo Rodríguez Gallardo

Part 6-Middle East
Introduction - Sajjad ur-Rehman
Public Libraries - Hayat Alyaqou
Academic Libraries - Teresa M. Lesher and Yaser Abdel-Motey
Special Libraries - Rehman Al-Issa
School Libraries - Hamad Ibrahim Alomran
LIS Education - Sajjad ur-Rehman

Part 7-North America
Introduction - Ismail Abdullahi
Public Libraries - Carol Brey-Casiano
Academic Libraries - Barbara I. Dewey
Special Libraries - Rebecca B. Vargha
School Libraries - Blanche Woolls
LIS Education - Irene Owens and Tom Leonhardt

Global Roles of Library Associations - Michael Dowling and Keith Michael
Fiels
Authors .
Regional Editors

Kind Regards,
Sofia Kapnisi
Professional  Communications Officer

Visit the new IFLA website at www.ifla.org !

P.O.Box 95312
2509 CH Den Haag
The Netherlands
tel. +31 70 3140884
fax.+31 70 3834827
www.ifla.org

[ARLIS-L] Networking Names Report now available!
Tuesday, 5 May, 2009 19:10:34
"Waibel,Guenter" <[log in to unmask]>

Particularly in light of Rodica Krauss's panel "Evolving Authority Control
Resources and Techniques in the Digital Age" in Indianapolis, I thought I'd
forward this announcement of the new report "Networking Names", written by
a delightfully diverse working group of RLG Partners. Some ARLIS regulars,
such as Deborah Kempe, Daniel Starr and Amy Lucker, contributed to the
report. Enjoy!

Günter

***

Networking Names report now available

The fifteen members of the RLG Partners Networking Names Advisory Group
have articulated the problem space that the research community needs to
address and the necessary components for a "Cooperative Identities Hub"
that would have the most impact across different target audiences.  The
group developed fourteen use case scenarios around academic libraries and
scholars, archivists and archival users, and institutional repositories
that provide the context in which different communities would benefit from
aggregating information about persons and organizations, corporate and
government bodies, and families, and making it available on a network level.

Check out the just published Networking Names report that summarizes the
group's recommendations on the functions and attributes needed to support
the use case scenarios, and send your reactions and comments to Karen
Smith-Yoshimura.

Günter Waibel
Program Officer, OCLC Research

777 Mariners Island Blvd. Suite 550
San Mateo CA 94404
voice: +1-650-287-2144
Günter blogs at ... http://www.hangingtogether.org

[ARLIS-L] id.loc.gov is up
Tuesday, 5 May, 2009 20:56:32
Sherman Clarke <[log in to unmask]>

The Library of Congress has opened a new site -- http://id.loc.gov -- which
will provide access to various vocabularies and standards maintained at LC.
This replaces lcsh.info which was on a non-official site and provided
access to LCSH is machine-readable formats. Below is the announcement
message sent out by Sally McCallum, head of the Network Development and
MARC Standards Office:

The Library of Congress has opened its ID.LOC.GOV web service,
Authorities and Vocabularies, with the Library of Congress Subject Headings
(LCSH) as the initial offering.  The primary goal of this service is to
enable machines to programmatically access data at the Library of Congress
but the web interface also provides simple user access.  We view this
service as a step toward exposing and interconnecting vocabulary and
thesaurus data via URLs.  For LCSH, we are fortunate to have been able to
link terms to a similar service provided in Europe for RAMEAU, a French
subject heading vocabulary closely coordinated with LCSH.

We are very interested to get feedback on the uses and usefulness of the
service to inform ways that we might enhance it.  (There is a comment form
at the site.).  Over the next few months we will also be expanding it to
other vocabularies commonly found in standards that the Library supports
such as the Thesaurus of Graphic Materials, geographic area, language, and
relator codes, and preservation events and roles.

So please go to the site and explore it for yourself at http://id.loc.gov.

Sally H. McCallum, Chief, Network Development and
MARC Standards Office, Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20540  USA
[log in to unmask]  (Voice: 1-202-707 5119)
(Fax: 1-202-707 0115)
[forwarded to VRA-L and ARLIS-L by Sherman Clarke, New York University
Libraries (retired), [log in to unmask]]

[ARLIS-L] Getty Vocabulary Program update
Wednesday, 6 May, 2009 0:16:25
Jonathan Ward <[log in to unmask]>

A message from Murtha Baca:

Many of you may have read or heard about recent budget cuts at the Getty
Trust. This is indeed a challenging time at the Getty, and at many other
organizations. But we remain committed to fulfilling our core mission as an
institution dedicated to research, collecting, preservation, and education.

I am happy to report that the Getty Vocabulary Program will continue, and
will be more closely integrated with the cataloging and descriptive
metadata units at the Getty Research Institute (GRI). We will also continue
to enhance the multilingual aspect of our vocabularies through
international partnerships with other cultural organizations.

Now, more than ever, the collaborative model of building and growing our
vocabularies is the key to their continued development and usefulness for
the international art history and visual resources communities. We welcome
data contributions from the many professionals who use the AAT, ULAN, and
TGN on a regular basis. Your continued use and support of our vocabulary
resources will enable us to continue to provide up-to-date, relevant tools
for the international art-historical documentation community.

Murtha Baca
Getty Research Institute

[ARLIS-L] Avery Index update
Wednesday, 6 May, 2009 13:45:05
Edward C. Goodman <[log in to unmask]>

Many of you have seen Terry Ford's note regarding recent budget cuts at the
Getty Trust or read about them in the newspaper.

At the ARLIS/NA conference in Indianapolis, Jim Neal, Columbia University
Librarian, announced that effective June 30, the Getty Trust will no longer
be supporting the Avery Index. Jim Neal is determined to continue the Index
under Columbia. The Getty will be returning all data and copyright to
Columbia. The vendor contracts and royalties will also come back to
Columbia.

We do not anticipate any problems with the transition and you should expect
the usual up-to-date information from whichever vendor you use.

A joint press release will be released shortly.

Thanks to the Getty Trust for supporting the Avery Index for 25 years! We
look forward to the next 25 under Columbia!
Best,
Ted Goodman
General Editor
Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals