Message
I read the report the in the latest copy of Record Keeping on the results of the 2008 self-assessment exercise with some interest, and I welcome the general improvements overall which the survey has identified. Our service has taken part in the surveys to date and has every intention of doing so in the future, since we see it as a useful tool for analysing our strengths and weaknesses.

I do, however, feel some concern at the judgements made on "direction of travel". This of course is a term used by the Audit Commission in their assessments of local authorities' overall performance. As far as I am aware, nothing was said in advance about this aspect of the survey. The commentary in Record Keeping simply states that the judgement "takes into account not only the year-on-year comparisons between 2007 and 2008, but also what else is known of the threats to, and opportunities for, future service development." This on the face of it does not sound like a very rigorous methodology on which to base a judgement which, taken out of context, could easily lead to false impressions about services, and could have potentially damaging long-term consequences.  This sort of judgement seems to me to be in a different league from the rest of the assessment, and should be exercised with great caution; the nature of the evidence on which it is based should made more explicit so that we can all feel confidence in it. As presented at the moment, it sounds a bit subjective and partial.

I don't know whether any other colleagues share my concerns, but I would welcome a comment from Nick Kingsley and his team.

Jonathan Pepler
County Archivist

Cheshire Archives and Local Studies
Tel 01244 973391
Email: [log in to unmask]

Note: This E-Mail is intended for the addressee only and may include
confidential information.

Unauthorised recipients are requested to please advise the sender immediately
by telephone and then delete the message without copying or storing it or
disclosing its contents to any other person.

We have taken all reasonable precautions to ensure that no viruses are
transmitted from the Authority to any third party. Copyright in this
e-mail and attachments created by us unless stated to the contrary belongs to the Council.

Any liability (in negligence or otherwise) arising from any party acting,
or refraining from acting on any information contained in this e mail is
hereby excluded.

Should you communicate with anyone at the Council by e-mail,
you consent to us monitoring and reading any such correspondence.

Printing this email? Please think environmentally and only print when essential!