WEDGWOOD MUSEUM SHORTLISTED FOR ART FUND PRIZE

It is such an honour for our tiny team of trustees, staff, and extremely loyal
volunteers for the Museum to be selected for the Art Fund Prize short list, and
for us to champion the Midlands in this prestigious national award.

All of us at the Wedgwood Museum are over the moon at the news. It’s terrific
recognition of nine year’s work and also such good news for Stoke on Trent-
‘The Potteries’- the home of Josiah Wedgwood.

We’re especially pleased that this year, for the first time, members of the
public will be able to support the museum of their choice via an online poll.
YOU can have a say in who wins. To register your vote please follow this link:

www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/poll/2009/may/05/art-fund- britains-best-
museums

You may also like to see the Guardian’s coverage of the short list
announcement at: www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/may/06/wedgwood-
 museum-art-fund-prize-shortlist  - or listen again to the short list
announcement on Radio 4 using the BBC iPlayer at
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00k3kvq/Front_Row_05_05_2 009/

For more information on The Wedgwood Museum please visit our website at
www.wedgwoodmuseum.org.uk

Art Fund members have free entry to the Wedgwood Museum - and we
welcome everyone to come to experience the new galleries which only opened
in October 2008. Indeed, whichever of the shortlisted museums and galleries
you visit we are sure you'll have a fantastic time.

The Wedgwood Museum Trust is a charity and is completely independent of
WWRD Holdings Ltd.  The Wedgwood Museum has benefitted from support
from The Art Fund when it acquired the wonderful portrait of John Flaxman
Jnr - one of Wedgwood's most-famous designers - by the artist John Jackson
which now hangs in the new museum's galleries.

George Stonier                                               Gaye Blake Roberts
Chairman of The Wedgwood Museum Trust          Museum Director

Note – For images of the Museum please contact:

The Wedgwood Museum
Wedgwood Drive
Barlaston
Stoke-on-Trent,
Staffordshire.
ST12 9ER.

Tel: +44 (0)1782 371900

The Art Fund is the UK's leading independent art charity. It offers grants to
help UK museums and galleries enrich their collections; campaigns on behalf of
museums their visitors; and promotes the enjoyment of art. It is entirely
funded from public donations and has 80,000 members. Since 1903 the charity
has helped museums and galleries all over the UK secure 860,000 works of art
for their collections. Recent achievements include: helping secure Anthony
d'Offay's collection, ARTIST ROOMS, for Tate and National Galleries of
Scotland in February 2008 with a grant of £1million; putting together a unique
funding package to ensure Dumfries House in Ayrshire and its contents were
secured intact for the nation in July 2007; running the ‘Buy a Brushstroke'
public appeal which raised over £500,000 to keep Turner's Blue Rigi
watercolour in the UK, and helping to save Rubens' sketch for the ceiling at
Banqueting House, Whitehall, for Tate in October 2008 with a grant of
£600,000. Independent of government, The Art Fund is uniquely placed to
campaign on behalf of public collections across the UK. Visit the charity's
website at www.artfund.org www.artfund.org