Harm Tiesing mentions the use of branches and leaves of Sambucus nigra (elder) against weevils.
C.H. Edelman, 1974: Harm Tiesing over landbouw en volksleven in Drenthe, part 1, p.175. Van Gorcum, Assen.

Sent: dinsdag 19 mei 2009 8:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Use of plants to prevent pests

Dear colleagues,

My colleague Jan van Doesburg, medieval archaeologist, is searching for any evidence for the use of plants in (post-)medieval times to prevent insects and other invertebrates from consuming food products. Both archaeobotanical data and written/painted/etc. sources are welcome. I am aware of the publication by Tom Hakbijl in Environmental Archaeology (on the use of charcoal), but would welcome other references.

Many thanks in advance,

oTTo