Hi Lesley - this has cropped up here with me today as well and also
recently with a proposed project to engage the views of BME students.
Our view, after some discussion, is that we shouldn't use disclosure or
monitoring information for targetted mailings since the disclosure has
not been made with that purpose in mind by the member of staff, or
student.  For consultation we would put out an invitation to all
students but make it clear it would be disabled students we'd be
interested in hearing from.  This has potential benefits in perhaps
involving some students or staff who have not (yet) declared a
disability to the institution.

However, I'd be interested to hear the view of other colleagues on this
too, hence my reply on-list,

best wishes
Helen

Helen Murdoch