As with many other labs I suspect we are currently battling with an avalanche (?flood) of urine specimens for protein:creatinine and albumin:creatinine ratios.

To enable us to cope more effectively one suggestion was to ask the patient to provide a urine specimen in a 5ml pot which we can then place directly on the analyser, rather than having to make and label a separate aliquot from a 25ml universal.

I just wondered how other labs asked patients to collect urine specimens for this purpose and if anyone had abandoned the 25ml universal? I appreciate that there may be issues around the practicalities of collection - without wanting to dwell on the obvious, most woman already collect their specimen in a temporary container and then decant into the universal, whereas I suspect that most men don't.

As always, any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Kind regards
Louise

Louise Tilbrook
Principal Clinical Scientist
Dept of Clinical Biochemistry
Mid Essex Hospitals NHS Trust
Chelmsford
CM1 7ET

01245 515036
07919 016847

This message may contain confidential and privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail
or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has
gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is used daily by over 100,000 staff in the NHS. Over a million
messages are sent every day by the system. To find out why more and
more NHS personnel are switching to this NHS Connecting for Health
system please visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/