Thanks Adam, and to all of you for comments. Alan is currently heading for
a Spanish beach with many grandchildren, but I don't suppose that will stop
him from joining in when he reaches a wi-fi zone.

In the meantime, I think our concern was that life 'saving' drugs (more
realistically those that might extend the life of someone with a terminal
illness for a few months) are increasingly being treated differently from
those that contribute to quality of life. This seems a return to the
pre-Alan Williams days of measuring the success of interventions purely by
whether or not they extend life, regardless of quality. QALYs, however
clumsy they might be, attempt to combine length and quality of life using a
common metric, but this is undermined by setting different thresholds when
we feel like it. And Jennie, I don't think the benefits of your mother's
ballroom dancing and french lessons are 'immeasurable' necessarily - sounds
to me as if they would contribute at least to the mobility and depression
domains of EQ-5D - although I think your chances of NHS funding could be
slight.

My view, for what it's worth, is that at the end of life, people value most
care that provides pain and other symptom relief, and maintains dignity.
There could be a need to look at how we measure these if we don't think
that standard measures of quality of life are enough. But we need to stay
robust in assessing the value of overpriced drugs of marginal
effectiveness.

Enjoy your weekends.

Karen