-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]För Kim Vickers
Skickat: den 15 april 2009 12:00
Till: [log in to unmask]
Ämne: [ZOOARCH] ICAZ 2010 session proposal: Biometry and Morphology in
Zooarchaeology

Dear All,

Tessa Pirnie, Angelos Hadjikoumis, Sarah Viner and I are planning to
submit a session proposal on "Biometry and Morphology in
Zooarchaeology" for the 2010 ICAZ conference in Paris. If you would be
interested in presenting at this session we would be grateful if you
could get in touch with us by April 27th. Please e-mail Kim Vickers
on: [log in to unmask]

Measurements taken from archaeological animal bones have many
applications in zooarchaeology, both methodological and as material
culture evidence. We hope to encourage a range of papers and posters
dealing with a wide cross section of archaeological applications,
species, regions and periods!

Some of the broad subject areas covered by the scope of the session include:

* Theoretical and methodological issues in biometry
* the use of biometry to tackle methodological problems in zooarchaeology
* the effects of external factors (e.g: nutrition and environment) on
   animal size and shape
* animal domestication
* domesticate development
* Husbandry regimes and/or consumption patterns as indicators of culture,
   ideology, identity, movement etc
* papers on other biometrical issues are also welcome!

Many thanks for your time, we look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes,

Kim Vickers

Session Abstract:

Analysis of the physical dimensions of animal bone within
archaeological assemblages has a wide range of applications in the
elucidation of human-animal relationships in the past. This session is
intended to showcase new international developments in both the method
and theory of biometry in zooarchaeology and its innumerable
applications. It is expected that the range of papers included in this
session will be varied, both in terms of subject matter – ranging from
theoretical and methodological papers through to the use of biometry
to address important archaeological issues- and chronological and
geographical scope. Included within the remit of the session are
developments in the use of biometry to tackle methodological problems
in zooarchaeology – for example the differentiation of species, sex
and breeds; as well as the potential of biometrical analysis to
contribute to key archaeological questions such as animal
domestication and subsequent development. The ways in which animals
are husbanded and used by people are intrinsic aspects of cultural
ideology. The evidence provided by biometry and animal morphology for
changing husbandry regimes, animal populations, and consumption
patterns has unlimited potential to inform us about culture, ideology,
identity, trade, movement and transmission in the past. It is hoped
that the range of papers from international contributors presented
during this session will promote awareness of this rich, yet often
overlooked aspect of zooarchaeology; and stimulate further discussion
upon its use and potential.

Dr Kim Vickers
Department of Archaeology,
University of Sheffield,