Hi. I have to send this announcement out again since there was an error in
it. please accept my apologies for filling everyone's mailbox.

Best

Haskel

I would like to solicit interest in a symposium at the upcoming ICAZ
conference in Paris for the 2010 International Council for Archaeozoology
meeting in Paris, France (August 23-28th).

If you are interested in presenting a communication (a title would be warmly
appreciated), please let me know by April 29th so that a formal session
proposal can be submitted before the deadline: April 30th.

Haskel Greenfield: [log in to unmask]

Title of symposium: The Secondary Products Revolution: new approaches to the
origins and intensification of domestic animal exploitation.

Abstract: About 30 years ago, Andrew Sherratt proposed his grand synthesis
concerning the changes in animal exploitation occurring from the end of the
Neolithic to the beginning of the Bronze Age in the Near East and Europe. He
proposed that the nature of domestic animal exploitation shifted from an
emphasis upon primary products (meat, hide and bone) to a combination of
both primary and secondary products (milk, wool, and traction).  After its
proposal, the model was supported by a number of zooarchaeological studies
across both regions and was extended into eastern Asia. Over time, questions
continued to arise concerning the timing of initial appearance of various
practices and the level of exploitation. In recent years, a variety of human
genetic, ceramic lipid, and  zooarchaeological studies have challenged the
validity of the model as originally proposed. This symposium will present
and evaluate the Secondary Products Revolution model in light of recent
theoretical and methodological developments, as well as new data.

Please forward this announcement to any relevant list or person whom you
think might be interested.

Many thanks for your help and looking forward to hearing from you.

Haskel J. Greenfield, PhD, Professor

Dept. of Anthropology

University of Manitoba

435 Fletcher Argue

Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 5V5

Phone: 204-272-1591 (work); 204-489-4962 (home)

Fax: 204-474-7600

Email: [log in to unmask]

Website: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~greenf/

cid:image002.png@01C9C471.D98E4CE0