Dear all,

The petition closes on 9 April, so we have one week left.  Here is a link to
the petition itself:
<http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BBCWorldService/>

This recent article in STANDPOINT brings out the seriousness of the
situation better than any of our previous articles and letters:
       <
http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/bbc-kremlin-service-april-09-counterpoints>

My earlier article on the Open Democracy site provides more background:
<http://www.opendemocracy.net/Russia/article/BBC-ridding-itself-of-a-trouble
some-Russian-Service>

Also, the Times recently printed a short paragraph about the BBC RS website
publishing death threats directed at Oleg Gordievsky:
<http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/artic
le5983115.ece>

It would be a great help if you could not only sign this but also forward
the message to any friends who are either UK citizens or UK residents. You
could just delete these first few lines and forward the rest of the message.
We¹re now about 800. 1000 might make a real impact.

Best Wishes,

Robert

I am forwarding the following message from Robert Chandler, a translator of
Russian literature.  If you have any questions, please address them to him
at the following address:

                                *

May I ask you to consider signing our petition against the axing of the most
important programmes of the BBC Russian Service and the general World
Service policy of Œmoving producers closer to their audiences¹, i.e.
relocating them, against their will, to parts of the world where it will be
impossible for them to preserve their editorial freedom?  Please also, if
possible, forward this message to as many people as possible.

 http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BBCWorldService
<http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BBCWorldService/>

> For many years, the BBC Russian Service ŒFeatures¹ department has been
> producing programmes which have been more adventurous and free-thinking than
> anything available to a Russian listener from his domestic media.
>
> This department is now being closed down. A campaign by distinguished British
> academics, writers, journalists and public figures has failed to persuade the
> World Service management and the Foreign Office to grant it a reprieve .
> Without its most creative programming, the Russian Service is running the risk
> of becoming less distinctive, less valued by its audience and less
> influential.
>
> The Government has ignored calls by members of the public and MPs from all
> parties for an investigation into the BBC World Service. There are serious
> concerns about how taxpayers¹ money is being spent.
>
> The government has increased its funding of the BBC World Service by 20% over
> the past five years. Despite this, the BBC axed much of its quality feature
> and cultural programming in favour of cheap news coverage across the World
> Service, significantly reduced its funding for Russian broadcasts and is now
> offshoring South Asian language services ³closer to their audiences², to
> countries where intimidation of journalists is widespread.
>
> Therefore, we call on the Prime Minister to launch a full and independent
> investigation into the BBC World Service.
>
> So far (30 March) we have 800 signatories for our petition.  1000 would make a
> real impact.  To sign, you must be a  UK citizen or resident.  We have another
> 10 days.
>
>  http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BBCWorldService
> <http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BBCWorldService/>
>
> When the French government recently decided to stop their own Russian-language
> broadcasting service, 900 people signed a petition against this.  Copies were
> sent to every deputy in the French parliament, and the broadcasts were
> reprieved!
>
> If any of you would like further background, the best place to start is my
> recent article on the Open Democracy site, which was published on 10 Feb:
> http://www.opendemocracy.net/Russia/article/BBC-ridding-itself-of-a-troublesom
> e-Russian-Service
>
> And here is a link to a new article of my own that has just been published in
> STANDPOINT:

http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/bbc-kremlin-service-april-09-counterpoints

> Also, the Times recently printed a short paragraph about the BBC RS website
> publishing death threats directed at Oleg Gordievsky:
> <http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article
> 5983115.ece>
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Robert Chandler

> [...]