Dear all

I work for the Earthwatch Institute - an international environmental charity.  We support a wide variety of environmental research projects around the world and champion the concept of citizen science - enabling people to join these research projects as research assistants and get involved with real, ongoing environmental science in the field.

One of the groups of people we are constantly trying to get involved in our projects is UK secondary school science/geography/citizenship teachers.  Earthwatch provides teachers with fully-funded places on our UK-based projects.  These are not only fantastic opportunities for CPD, but also the educational outcomes are plenty in terms of resources produced in conjunction with teachers - e.g. these films produced on two teacher teams during the summer of 2007 and meant as a 'spring-board' for discussions in the classroom based on the project science focuses http://www.earthwatch.org/europe/get_involved/involved_learning/learning_resources/resources_videos/ (which forms the link with Alom's original email below); and also in terms of what the teachers do with the experience on their return to the classroom - i.e. draw on it to inspire their students and illustrate specific areas of the curriculum etc.

So, in short, I would like to flag up the films above to any teachers interested in taking a look at/using them, and also I would like to draw to your attention the fact that there are still places available on our Educator Programme this summer for those interested in getting involved in this fantastic, free opportunity to contribute to real conservation science, and that application materials can be found on our website here: http://www.earthwatch.org/europe/educators#opportunity (ignore deadline given on this webpage - the extended deadline is actually Friday May 22nd, 2009).

Thanks for your time and I hope to be seeing some of you in the field this summer!

Best regards, Caroline

Caroline Rodgers

Programme Manager ~ Engagement

Earthwatch Institute,

Mayfield House,

256 Banbury Road,

Oxford, OX2 7DE

Tel: +(0) 44 1865 318826

Fax: +(0) 44 1865 318869

*           Expedition Special Offer

Find out how you can get a five per cent discount, plus a further £100 off the cost of your Earthwatch expedition!

*           Dates for your diary

            Come along to our Expedition Open Day on 18 April, and don't forget to put 7 May in your diary - it's the date of our lecture, Conserving Biodiversity in the Americas, at the Royal Geographical Society.

Save paper - think before you print this email.

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views, which are not the views of Earthwatch Institute Europe unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that Earthwatch Institute (Europe) monitors e-mails sent or received. Further communication will signify your consent to this.

Conservation Education & Research Trust also known as Earthwatch Institute (Europe) is a company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales under company number 4373313 and charity number 1094467. The registered address is Mayfield House, 256 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 7DE England.