Thanks, Doug.  The final touch of the revision process in fact happened right between
"end" and "hope" in the last line, with the elimination of both a period and a capital.  The
syntax may be a bit elongated, but I prefer that to language units with the potential of
cliche.  It took 25 days for me to decide on one of three versions already conceived of
during the initial draft from my writing in the dark.

Barry