From the economic perspective of the international rare book market, the collectible first
editions of Jacques Derrida have steadily risen in price over the years.  Even though I
have monitored these prices for quite a long time, I was startled today to note a copy of
the true first of Derrida's "La Carte postale: de Socrate á Freud et au-delá" with an
autographed inscription to Paul de Man being offered at $12500.00 by a leading dealer
who has remained in business for more than 20 years.  The lowest price for any signed
Derrida is $300.  I'm certainly glad I invested the money to buy 5 first French editions
from the library of post-Cunningham/Cage choreographer/dancer Robert Dunn and to
drive over to Johns Hopkins University to hear Jacques Derrida lecture.  Nor am I
complaining economically about my comparable activity with Tzvetan Todorov.  I'd
recommend investing in the true first editions of all the "post-structuralists".

Have you evaluated the "economic popularity" of your two books recently?

Barry Alpert