Comfort

At a certain moment happiness is achieved
and the next stage begins: inviting
the dead, in the form they had when living,
though new and improved, to check out
the scene.  Most join.  Some say
they’ll wait for Jesus.  A few
have issues around the issue
of boredom, and changes to the brain
that remove it while supposedly safeguarding
brains.  I’m one of those.
No problem, says happiness, setting off
in a gaudy, gigantic, improbable craft
for parties in other dimensions.  Take
your time – what else is it for?  I’ll be back.

I hope that, while we wait and make up
our minds, you’ll stay with me, listening
with our old brains for years of weekends
to our young bodies.  How they missed us,
how much they have to say!
Though I wonder whether I’ll soon be as stupid
as I was at twenty.  And if you’ll
still want me.  A place near a tamed
and cleaned-up ocean will help – you love
the water, I can forego
mountains.  And our cats,
all our cats, running freely
and safely at last after rodents,
delicious, bloody, and visible only to them.

Old West Photos

Boulders balance like gymnasts
on boulders, boulders lean
against cliffs, and the surveyor
atop a boulder
atop a cliff gives no scale whatever
to the desert and mountains beyond.

The chief has surrendered, to save
his hundred followers and their hundred children.
He has submitted
to the army, the reservation,
and whisky.  Sometime later
someone dresses him in buckskin,
hands him a rifle, stands him before
painted mountains and a papier-mâché
stump.  Look fierce.
I can look fierce, thinks the chief.
The crags are there, the arroyos deeper than ever.
Wasi'chu will not see
that what was basalt is now limestone, mud.

The sheriff, girdled,
overslung with metal
and leather, looks
like the hero of a medieval
epic, and almost as stupid.

Then there are twenty pages
of guns attended, nursed,
by groups.  Cowboys, bankers.
A Protective Association.
Women have the air of women
among men without women.  Pinkertons
have bowlers.  Striking miners,
Wobblies may or may not have
some expression beyond the norm.
Which the grain of the photos,
the grime of faces and clothes set
in stone.

Notes: Wasi'chu --- Lakota (Sioux Indian) term for whites.  Means "greedy,"
"cruel," "stupid."

Pinkertons --- Pinkerton Detective Agency was a kind of domestic
19th-century Blackwater for the ruling class.  Broke strikes, killed
unionists, broke up demonstrations as well as guarding mines, houses,
capitalists, etc.

Wobblies --- members of the International Workers of the World, a
Marxist-influenced but generally anarcho-syndicalist outfit whose motto was
"One Big Union."  Organized miners, some other workers west of the
Mississippi.  IWW still exists though of course very small.