Well, David, I've found the opposite. When I ended up unemployed at 45, I
went into a deep depression and ended up catatonic in the corner of my
lounge room. Then I dusted myself off and got up and worked in shit jobs
until I ended up teaching at unis in this town & elsewhere. But the trauma
and the time to ponder lead to the writing of my first 'major' collection,
Mother Waits For Father Late (FACP, 1992). I was merely a punster and a word
trickster before that: the time and the trauma lead me into deeper content.
I think it may be the same with grant time: no activity for awhile, a mild
panic sets in, then the push for poetic works brings thoughts to the surface
that wouldn't have been there in work time, writing exhausted after hours.

But we are all different - thank god. Maybe a grant would silence you; maybe
it would inspire you. Wheelbarrows always work in the same way, but poets
never.

Andrew (who presently can't get two words to marry up! but there you go)