I've always liked the reminder posed by Dennis Phillips that language poets
are specific people, writing in a specific time. An historical set of facts
and accomplishments that had a strong influence, and maintain a strong
influence, over people writing in the periods then and following.

Many times, people characterize themselves as "language poets" - but I have
never felt comfortable doing what feels like *invading an historical moment*,
as it were.

Sheila