From: "Max Richards" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 9:50 PM
Subject: Re: [identify] poems by others

Quoting Martin Walker <[log in to unmask]>:

> O strange face there in the glass!
> O ribald company, O saintly host,
> O sorrow-swept my fool,
> What answer? O ye myriad
> That strive and play and pass,
> Jest, challenge, counterlie!
> I?I?I?
>            And ye?
>
> [author?]

thanks for the above. I see on the Web this below is much taught still...
Max

Robert Graves

The Face in the Mirror

Grey haunted eyes, absent-mindedly glaring
From wide, uneven orbits; one brow drooping
Somewhat over the eye
Because of a missile fragment still inhering,
Skin-deep, as a foolish record of old-world fighting.

Crookedly broken nose - low tackling caused it;
Cheeks, furrowed; coarse grey hair, flying frenetic;
Forehead, wrinkled and high;
Jowls, prominent; ears, large; jaw, pugilistic;
Teeth, few; lips, full and ruddy; mouth, ascetic.

I pause with razor poised, scowling derision
At the mirrored man whose beard needs my attention,
And once more ask him why
He still stands ready, with a boy's presumption,
To court the queen in her high silk pavilion.

This email was sent from Netspace Webmail: http://www.netspace.net.au