This discussion reminds me that while reading through the Variorum
Edition of Yeats, it seemed to me that most of his later revisions
were bad ones.  I've noticed also at least one case in one of Robert
Frost's most famous poems where he made a later revision which I
thought weakened it.  Another case is Whitman, whose tampering with
the original version of Leaves of Grass often diluted its effect.

I suppose the editor of a Selected or Collected poems would have to
use the poet's final version, though perhaps with footnotes about some
changes.

But f you were editing a more general anthology, would you feel
obliged to use a poet's final draft of a poem, or would you use
earlier ones if you thought they were better?

   Jon Corelis    http://jcorelis.googlepages.com/joncorelis