Good to see you back with corrections, Robin.

I think you're absolutely right about the Larkin. Have no idea about
the graves, but that would sound right, about these guys trying to rid
themselves of what they now find embarrassing youthful crap (cf Auden).

Doug

On 25-Apr-09, at 12:43 AM, Robin Hamilton wrote:

>> Philip Larkin Collected Poems (ed. Thwaite 1989)
>
> Isn't this the clusterfuck Larkin editon?
>
> Whether or not you like Larkin, he went to a hell of a lot of
> trouble to arrange the poems in book form. which Thwaite tediously
> deconstructed into chronological form.
>
> Didn't Faber recant (my copy has the publication date as 1988, not
> 1989) and reissue this with the poems grouped -- North Ship, etc. --
> in the form Larkin intended?
>
> There are problems with Collecteds -- Berryman's Lise of the
> Berryman Sonnets gets retro-edited to is it Nora or Jane? in (yet
> again) the Faber Collected Berryman.
>
>           <sigh>
>
> R.

Douglas Barbour

http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/

Latest books:
Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664
Wednesdays'
http://abovegroundpress.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-from-aboveground-press_10.html

There's the wind and the rain
And the mercy of the fallen
Who say they have no claim to know what's right
		Dar Williams