I remember a justifiably indignant article in the NY Times Book Review back in the late 70s (I think it was) about the Collected Auden which had just come out, and how unconsciounable it was that such a thick tome was held together with "miracle" binding -- where nothing is sewn and the pages are just whacked off & jammed with glue onto the spine.  Libraries around the world would purchase this definitive volume for their collections and in two or three decades the glue would begin to deteriorate and, if the volume had received any readers at all over the years, the pages would begin to pop out.