Dear design re/seachers,
I am studying how students (mostly from social sciences) are designing
their learning material. I want to describe the actions performed with
the material as designerly actions: from highlighting and annotating to
editing to arranging to filing.

I have made a literature research about theoretical accounts of everyday
design. Here's what I've found:

# Brandes, Stich & Wender: Design by Use. Basel: Birkhäuser, 2009.
__ they essentially document "mis-used" everyday objects, concentrating
on those objects, not on process.

# Louridas: Design as Bricolage. In: Design Studies 20 (1999) Nr. 6, pp.
517-535
__ he combines Alexanders notion of the un/selfconscious designer and
Levi-Strauss' bricoleur.

# Papantoniou, Nathanael & Marmaras: Moving Target. Designing for
Evolving Practice. In: Stephanidis, C. (ed.): Universal access in HCI --
Inclusive Design in the Information Society. Mahwah: Lawrence Erlbaum,
2003, pp. 474-478.
__ they refer to the concept of /catachresis/ which "refers to the use
of a word in way different from the normal meaning" (ibid.) and
/utilization scheme/ which seems to go back to Jean Piaget.

# Wakkary & Maestri: Aspects of Everyday Design. In: Int. Journal of HCI
24 (2008) Nr. 5, pp. 478-491
__ they propose the notion "design-in-use", from their ethnographic
studies they identify patterns and underlying social processes.

Do you know any more? Can you give me a hint where to search? Thanks for
your help!

Cheers,
Jan-Henning Raff

PhD candidate