Terence Love wrote:
> Many design researchers use the term  'methodology'  accurately in its root
> sense of 'the STUDY of methods'  and thus has nothing at all to do with what
> designers or researchers do directly whilst dsigning or studying design,
> rather it is an ontological and epistemological study relating to the nature
> of the concept of what something is to be a design method.

It's important to keep saying this and Terry (who frequently reminds us
of our responsibilities to the language we use) makes clear that what we
must do in a PhD or any research is develop an individual methodological
position. I don't think it's entirely wrong to refer to that as "my
methodology" as long as we remember that it's a rationale rather then a
prescription. However there is an enormous burden of popular and
professional usage that skews us towards the concept of methodology as
prescription so maybe we all need to take more care.

Just when I thought I'd cracked (in a practical sense) the
design/designing language habits problem he posed us a few years back
Terry throws us another. However I'm encouraged that he still uses terms
like "studying design" that I've learned to avoid. The disciple appears
to be more hardline than the master and so we ossify.

best wishes from Sheffield
Chris