We am working with Action on Smokiing and Health Wales on a research proposal to the Big Lottery.  The aim of the work will be to understand tobacco use (smoking and chewing) in the Bangladeshi and Somali communities in Cardiff.  The study will focus on knowledge, understanding and cultures of tobacco consumption.  We would then work with the communities to develop appropriate approaches to reducing tobacco use.

We would be interested to hear from anyone who has done any similar work with either community and anyone who has experience of adapting smoking cessation for specific minority communities.

Dr Michael Shepherd
AWARD Senior Research Fellow
Cardiff Institute of Society, Health & Ethics
Cardiff University
53 Park Place
Cardiff CF10 3AT

+44 (0)29 2087 0098