From: Bonnie Blackburn <[log in to unmask]>

http://www.neumann-walter.de/NW/November2007/27.11.07/33.jpg

>has indeed been altered: it was originally 'Et enim sederunt', which is how
the Introit for the Mass of St Stephen begins. The melody matches that
Introit, more or less, in the Liber Usualis 414. I can only think that it was
confused with the Gradual for the same mass, which begins 'Sederunt principes,
et adversum me loquebantur' (LU 416).

it's rather remarkable (to me) that a completely different "song" could be had
by simply changing a few letters of the first line (which, we have to admit,
was rather skillfully done).

but that does, indeed, seem to be what has happened.

others --certainly not i-- can say why.

why the Introit text was was replaced with the Gradual text.

http://www.neumann-walter.de/NW/November2007/27.11.07/36.jpg

>The text does not seem to be rewritten.

yes, no problems with the verso.

> Another thought: has the initial S been cut and pasted from somewhere else?

does it look like it, in this detail:

http://www.neumann-walter.de/NW/November2007/27.11.07/35.jpg

?

not that i can see.

>An entirely different manuscript? If it were a forgery, why not produce one
with the proper initial E, and not change the first line of the text?

there was, clearly, a reason for changing the text of the first line, which
led to the "upgrading" of the initial letter to "illuminated" status,
presumably to more fully obscure (or distract attention from) the underlying
"E".

but, it might be asked, why not just completely overpaint that E with blue,
obliterating it entirely, and then overpainting the S in red, without the
figure of the prothomartyr?

so, we have an otherwise rather hum-drum page, made more interesting by its
alterations --but the latter surely not the result of any "forgery."

is that the consensus?

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]