From: Laura Jacobus <[log in to unmask]>

>Perhaps it helps to imagine what a criminal would do and not
do.  The first 'forgery' does seem more convincing than the second, partly
because it is more aesthetically pleasing- and forgers on the whole don't
bother forging unattractive stuff.

>Also, I wonder whether a forger would bother adding real gold leaf to
something like the second miniature- the expense and bother may be a
deterrent, given that the outcome is uncertain.

> There's also the issue of style- would a forger vary their style as much as
the variation seen between these two miniatures?

which "two miniatures"??

the only one i see, on either side of the folio

http://cgi.ebay.de/ANTIPHONAR-IMPERIALFOLIO-PERGAMENT-MINIATUR-1400-8_W0QQitemZ200266810815QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiquarische_B%C3%BCcher?hash=item200266810815&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

is the tonsured "sancti steph[an]i prothomart[y]r" on the recto of the leaf.

>Presumably only if s/he was highly sensitive to the different styles that
might attend MSS of different dates- but then, why have identical twiddly bits
(forgive my technical language)

and my complete inability to discern what the hell a "twiddly bit" might be.

>on both?  The twiddly bits look more-or-less OK on the second MS,

there's only one "MS" --a single leaf, with picks of both sides (recto and
verso).

>but not quite in keeping with the first, though others will know.

perhaps.

perhaps they will.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]