There are two decretals in the Decretales Gregorii IX under the title De
iure patronatus [X 3.26 canons 6 & 16] that try to inhibit sale of
rights of patronage.  It is described in c. 16 as "annxed" (annexum) to
the spiritual (spirituali).  Most of the rest of the title is concerned
with defining powers, especially the roles of bishop and patron, and
providing remedies if there is no presentation to a benefice.

I looked at Trexler's book on the synodal laws of Fiesole and Florence.
Nothing on this point.

Tom Izbicki

Christopher Crockett wrote:

> From: Laura Jacobus <[log in to unmask]>
>

>> Getting back the the Scrovegnis, there is a theory that the church was
>>
> intended as the founder's 'mausoleum'
>
> "the family's necropolis" is the usual way that suchlike institutions are
> referred to (assuming that that is what's going on here), at least in the
> literature related to the French examples.
>

>> but I find this hard to prove one way or another as he was eventually buried
>>
> in an apsidal chapel that was added to the original church.
>
> not at all unusual, for a family necropolis.
>
> Any Port in a Storm, after all.
>

> at least, that would be the case in cc. 11-12 (if not before and after).
>
> founders' (and their family members') burial in churches --be they regular
> abbeys or secular collegials-- which they founded or significantly endowed or
> (at least) heavily patronized was so widespread (in France at least) as to be
> quite commonplace and, i should think, nearly impossible to stamp out (why
> should anyone wish to stamp the practice out?).
>
> i'm sure that it was just the expected Norm for suchlike institutions.
>

> exceptions would be for special cases --like Chartres cathedral (conditions
> for which Jim can certainly explain better than i)-- churches which served a
> much, much wider and more universal clientele.
>
> *were* there tombs in those side chapels of St. Mary's of Paris?

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]