On Friday, April 17, 2009, at 10:52 am, christopher crockett wrote:

> anything's possible, surely, but according to the site which John has
> kindly
> supplied us as a "key" to these arcane matters
>
> http://home.no.net/lotsberg/data/italia/legenda.html
>
> AL = Alessandria
>
> though apparently the abbreviation is only used for "talian Car Plates
> /
> Targhe Automobilistiche Italiane / Auto-kennzeichen aus Italien"

To clarify for those who may not have observed the in-cheek position of christopher's tongue, "only" is more than a tad off the mark with regard to actual usage.  A quick glance through some of the results of this Google search for instances of "Alessandria (AL)" will reveal numerous contexts that have nothing to do with automobile license plates:
http://tinyurl.com/ddkmzn

Best again,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]