> > Getting back the the Scrovegnis, there is a theory that the church
> > was intended as the founder's 'mausoleum' but I find this hard to
> > prove one way or another as he was eventually buried in an apsidal
> > chapel that was added to the original church.

Laura,
Picking up on Tom's comment about chantries, this arrangement emulates that in many
English parish churches, where the sanctuary is flanked on one side by a rather large chapel
that serves as a chantry, often containing burials (lots of examples in Colvin, Architecture and
the Afterlife).  Ewelme, in Oxfordshire is a good example.  The lords of the manor had the
parish church rebuilt with just such a chantry, along with an accompanying almshouse and
grammar school, and Alice de la Pole has a splendid tomb just between the chantry and the
sanctuary, presumably to take advantage of Masses at either altar.  Although this is a 15th-
century example, there is a good recent study of it by John Goodall, God's House at Ewelme
(Ashgate, 2001).
Did the Scrovegni Chapel, by the way, have merely a chaplain or a college of canons?
Cheers,
Jim

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]