Dear All,

At the moment I am thinking about introducing checksums as part of our deposit confirmation. We have an electronic archive with an online ‘do it yourself’ deposit procedure. After the deposit the content is checked by us and made available for general access (or not). The depositor receives an email with a deposit confirmation, which contains a list of deposited files and a license agreement to which the depositor has consented. In case of a legal dispute about the exact content of deposited files we have no ‘prove’ that the we are still maintaining the original file version (or that the current distribution file is truly based on the original submitted version). If there was a technical problem with the upload procedure, that also might go unnoticed in some cases (for instance a truncated csv file). (Confirmed?) checksums seem a good way to record the originality and integrity of a file.

Do some of you also have been considering this option? What were your considerations pro/con? Do you know of deposit procedures that already work with checksums? Are the checksums indeed effective as legal argument?

One of my hesitations is that the depositor probably is not eager and maybe even not capable to run checksums on his files and comparing them with a list in a pdf file. The whole idea of checksums may be vague or unknown to him/her.

Thanks for any reactions,

With kind regards,

Dr. Henk Koning

Technical Archivist