Dear all,

I am currently trying to make a decision on whether or not I should use the
automatic outlier de-weighting option in my higher level analyzes. I have
just ran Flame1+2 on 24 subjects. The reason I am interested in this
approach is for having observed by looking at individual level analyzes
outputs that a couple of participants "look quite different", e.g., have
deactivations in response to painful stimulation instead of activations
(2/24). What I would like to do is to get at the extent to which those
deviations (deactivations instead of activations) would qualify as "outliers
deviations", and if so, decrease the impact they might have on group
statistics. I haven't been able to find any errors on stimulus timing files
or uncorrected motion that could explain these widespread deactivations-
hence my keeping the subjects in the group analyzes- so I thought perhaps
the outlier de-weighting could be a good way to go-  if they are indeed
outliers.

Here are my questions:

1) Based on http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/feat5/detail.html#higher , it
seems that Flame 1+2 would give an indication of whether there are outliers
in the data, correct? I don't think the images look "speckled", so my
inclination would be to believe there are not based on looking at the higher
level images, but is there a more quantitative/objective way to get at that?
For what type of information should I be looking for in the feat log files?

2) Is using Flame 1+2 *and* automatic outlier de-weighting redundant in any way?

3) Are there any concerns with adopting the outlier de-weigthing option? In
particular, taking into consideration that: a) I have only 24 subjects and
b)I'm primarily interested in looking at individual differences in this
paradigm?

Thank you very much for any feedback,

Regina