Dear all,

I have a question regarding the best way to create a grey matter mask of the
pre-frontal cortex (PFC;including dorsal/ventral/medial/orbital areas), to
be used as a pre-threshold mask in a group level analyzes, in order to limit
the extent of multiple comparisons corrections given I have a-priori
hypothesis concerning the PFC only. I have never done this before, and while
trying to find the answer to this looking at the documentation online, I
have so far found what I think are two different potential approaches:

1) Based on an anatomical (or functional) image, to use fslmaths to define
the coordinates that would create a mask extracting the brain area of
interest (in this case, PFC), like this:
fslmaths T1High_brain -roi x (#slices) y (#slices) z (#slices) 0 1 PFC_mask
But, this does not seem to be a very practical way to avoid including white
matter in the mask.

2)Based on pre-defined ROI masks, such as the ones found here:
$FSLDIR/data/atlases/HarvardOxford-Cortical.xml
run some type of "concatenate" command that would create a PFC mask
containing all the cortical PFC ROIs.

Since I am new to this, it is very possible that neither of the two
approaches above are ideal. I would highly appreciate your feedback
regarding how one could best go about this (whether it is one of the ways
delineated above, or some other way that I don't know about yet).

Thank you very much in advance for your input!

Regina