(c) NSW Health amend existing policy or develop additional policy to require the wearing of name badges (or similar, but not cards on lanyards) by each type of health professional, bearing in large print the person’s name and title or role.

See page 146 and following of the report
http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/Special_Projects/ll_splprojects.nsf/vwFiles/E_Volume2.pdf/$file/E_Volume2.pdf

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Richard Hockey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

In Australian hospitals  white coats disappeared nearly 20 years ago. Even nurses uniforms disappeared for a while but seem to have made a come back.

From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pranab Chatterjee
Sent: Tuesday, 21 April 2009 12:00 AM

Subject: Evidence on White Coat

Hi,

Belated Easter wishes everyone!

I got into a bit of a disagreement with a professor regarding the matter of wearing white coats. I was under the impression that white coating was no longer considered an absolute essential in the medical wards, whilst he stated that it still was the established norm. What does the "evidence base" say about it? Any relevant reviews/papers/info on the same would be appreciated greatly. I need to be able to fend my proposition.

I have had the chance to obtain the following:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1293248&blobtype=pdf

http://pmj.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/80/943/284

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/177_11_021202/nai10445_fm.pdf

Can someone please forward me a copy of this:

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0195670199907028

My favorite medical blogger, Dr. Kevin Pho, is short and sarcastically sharp here:

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2007/09/banning-white-coats.html

I have two requests:

1. What is the Evidence supportingNOT wearing a white coat (thats what I did, so I need to support myself)?

2. What is the protocol at your institution?

Thanks and regards,
Pranab

Pranab Chatterjee, MBBS
Medical College, Kolkata, India

Mobile: +91 98 361361 95

http://www.nerdoc.net
http://www.pranabchatterjee.co.nr

So many new options, so little time. Windows Live Messenger.