De: Evidence based health (EBH) en nombre de Richard Stevens
Enviado el: mar 21/04/2009 16:55
Para: [log in to unmask]
Asunto: Re: Systematic Reviews as Research

Hi all - I'm Richard Stevens, a statistician who recently joined the
Centre
for Evidence Based Medicine in Oxford.

I'd like to rephrase the question this way:

How can we decide, as researchers with finite resources, when to put
our
efforts into systematic reviews and when to put our resources into new

studies?

I've been giving statistics advice to a Cochrane group, and I've been
frustrated by the very low value of nearly all the reviews I've seen so
far.
The reviews are done well, but they often turn up only one or two
studies for
each research question, so the review is still unable to provide the
answers
doctors need.  A systematic review is a lot of work. When I see a
systematic
review that still can't answer the question, I wish the researchers had
put
their energy into setting up a new study instead.

On the other hand, there are some areas where plenty of information is
out
there and ripe for meta-analysis, so a systematic review is much better
value
than setting up a whole new study.

How do we, as researchers, identify the two situations, and decide how
spend our energies?

Richard

--

-------------------------
Richard Stevens, Ph.D.

>>> "Djulbegovic, Benjamin" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> There is very important social reason why more people should be doing

> systematic reviews. There are about 10,000 key decisions to be
tackled in
> medicine, and we simply don't have enough people to do the required
number of
> SRs. Attached is a great paper by Iain Chalmers related to "The
lethal
> consequences of failing to make full use of all relevant evidence
about the
> effects of medical treatments: the importance of systematic reviews"
>
> So, this should be convincing why you (as well as the rest of us)
should
> pitch-in.
>

> Benjamin Djulbegovic, MD, PhD
> Professor of Medicine and Oncology
> University of South Florida & H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research

> Institute
> Co-Director of USF Clinical Translation Science Institute
> Director of USF Center for Evidence-based Medicine and Health
Outcomes
> Research
>

> Mailing Address:
> USF Health Clinical Research
> 12901 Bruce B. Downs Boulevard, MDC02
>  Tampa, FL 33612
>
> Phone # 813-396-9178
> Fax # 813-974-5411
>
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>

> ______________________
>
> Campus Address:             MDC02
>
> Office Address :
> 13101 Bruce B. Downs Boulevard,
> CMS3057
> Tampa, FL 33612

Amit
> Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 1:33 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Systematic Reviews as Research
>

> Hello KamleshSir,
>
> I am student of pharmacy practice not qulified as become systemic
reviewer
> of cochrane.but I can tell you it is risky research, If somebodyelse
doing
> same review as you any one who publish first gets all and other
nothing but
> frusrtationa or self satisfaction of knowing review preparation.As
research
> some college give Ph.D. degree if a student completes review.Cochrane
is the
> bigest nonfunding source of getting review published. Within cochrane
any one
> can secure their reiew as intellectual property by registeing
title.sometime
> after your protocol you can submit protocol then within year submit
fnal
> review and then update every 2 year for lifelong.but you need to be
very
> careful for securing your research.
>
> From the impact poin of view I can imagine just that note down sell
of drug
> after positive reporting of that drug in systemic review.Guideline
suggest
> the grade based on the results of meta analysis.The publication is
sure to
> get goo
d impact general and work can be appraised.All after benifit
> patients should be prime.because mixing apple with oranges in meta
analysis
> give results but influence by the conflits with lot of flaws.Strong
back
> groun of methodology is must.You can find more information in South
Asia
> cochrane network (SANC) also.
> Impact in health policy after systemic review in India has been
admirable.

> Some non govermental or private organisation are also doing systemic
review
> for their client for monetary bases.Average cost of one meta analysis

> approsximately 50000$ outside cochrane within cochrane 34000$. but it
is
> useless as you do not get good pulication if you donot have high
> degree.no<http://degree.no <http://degree.no/> > matter ho you devote to meta analysis.
>

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Kamlesh Bhargava
> <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> I have to make a presentation to the researchers in my college on the
value
> of doing systematic reviews as research and scholarly activity.
> Would be grateful for any references, did not find much in
Pubmed/Google,