Hi all,

I've sought advice from Bond Pearce, about whether a policy of strictly no
extensions being allowed for course work could be considered discriminatory
(in regards to students with mental health conditions for example). I'm
under pressure to meet a committee deadline with a paper on this issue, so
would appreciate any info colleagues may be able to share within next few
days if possible.

What I'm keen to know if there are any instances of DDA cases concerning
institutions refusing to offer extensions. I would obviously keep any info
shared confidential (you'd need to reply to me direct of course).

Kate Waugh at Birmingham City kindly shared with me survey results of
numbers of institutions offering extensions to course work (rather than just
operating an extenuating circumstances policy). The vast majority of those
surveyed do offer extensions, but my institution is refusing to follow suit
at present.

Thanks for any info shared.

Barry Hayward
Disability Coordinator