-----Original Message-----
Board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pete Johnston
Sent: Friday, 24 April 2009 9:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Range of "accessibility" property [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi Andrew,

> Thanks for all your thoughtful contributions to this discussion. I'm
> not sure if there is much difference except in purpose - the purposes
> of each property are quite different.

Yes, understood.

And I'm sort of pursuing this point because I think it kinda gets at
(what I feel is) one of the underlying problems here: the purpose - the
"why" - is important in determining what we want to say about the world,
in selecting/designing terms (properties, classes, VES, SES), but the
terms themselves should reflect that "what we want to say".

It's quite possible that a single piece of information may be used for
two different purposes e.g. knowing something about the format of a
resource may be helpful to me when I'm searching for resources and
selecting from between two similar resources on the one hand (say, I
want mp3 rather than Ogg Vorbis cos I can only play mp3 on my portable
player) and that same piece of information may be useful to someone
migrating resources for preservation purposes or doing statistical
studies of the different formats used or for some other purpose that
wasn't even considered when the term was designed.

But (at the risk of stating the obvious) it doesn't mean we need to coin
a new set of properties for each new purpose.

Having said that, I'm not going as far as to say that all the
accessibility requirements could/should be met by coining a new "type
vocabulary".

Pete
---
Pete Johnston