Hi Tim

I believe (but am not sure) that G asks if you want web history turned on (or off) when you create a new account. Although if you had an account that predated web history you may never have been asked.

My assumption is that Google keeps details on everything you do with email, keeps information that could personally identify searches for a while even if web history is turned off, and keeps gmail chats unless you turn that off.

I believe fully that name of the game is to gather enough information on individuals to enable targeted advertising. I had a conversation with Google's Head of Research where he explicitly said the reason that he joined Google is that "they own the data" ie masses of data, and that is what he found interesting about the company.

You can turn off web search, via some account setting page, email me or the list if you want to but cant find this page.

regards
mark

--
Mark van Harmelen