I wonder if I am missing something here.

Littering is anti social and unacceptable. A council has a duty to keep
its streets clean. If a person(s)are suspected of littering then it
seems to me that the council are entitled to find out who and ask/tell
them to stop it or else. The ensuing investigation is likely to be
processing personal data. The justification for this processing I
suggest could be conditions 3, 5 and 6 of Schedule 2. Bearing in mind
they only need to satisfy one. If they complete their Privacy Impact
Assessment and they have exhausted less intrusive means of finding out
"who done it" then in the absence of any other investigative solution
then why can't they maintain a surveillance on the areas in question?
Once the relevant information is established the method of surveillance
should cease. All this is within the DPA and I cant see how RIPA is
involved.

Now...am I missing something??

Chris Brogan MA LLM
Managing Director
Security International Ltd
130 St Johns Road, Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 6PL, UK
Tel:  +44 20 8847 2111  Fax:  +44 20 8847 1852
Registered in England & Wales No. 1322074
Registered Office:  11 Loveday Road, London W13 9JT
www.securitysi.com