> From: [log in to unmask]
> To: [log in to unmask]

> Cycling in Edinburgh, London and Glasgow; Edinburgh wins for consistency in sheer visibility of cycle provision.

Wins what? So it has lots of green paint ...

>London's scale makes it a questionable comparison as there is such a big difference between city cycling and suburban/local area cycling.

Which is why my article discussed Hackney in particular, and not London in general

>Edinburgh cycle provision is often tokenisitic, even stupid to the practiced cyclist, but its presence is felt and seems to be effective at lower levels. Edinburgh has managed to create a serious commuter/transport cycling presence.

As has much of inner London, and Hackney in particular with a 10% modal choice, but has achieved this without the usual methods of using piecemeal infrastructure.

>Compare this to its neighbour which has far less visible cycle provision, far fewer visible cyclists and a ghastly car culture, to the extent that as a practiced cyclist considering riding in Glasgow, I prefer to dump the bicycle and use public transport instead. This does not mean that I do not agree that freeing up infrastructure to assist direct-route cycling is not good, If Edinburgh did this as well as the high visibility streetmarking it would be better still.
>
> Nicholas Oddy.

Windows Live Messenger just got better. Find out more!