Dear all

I know Australia is a long way off for most critters, but the 2009
conference is in Cairns this year and I don't think I've seen any info
about it on this forum. Here are details of the conference in general,
but I have also pasted details about a session I am organising (on
Re-imagining the Tropics) below.

http://www.iag.org.au/conferences-events/iag-conference-cairns-2009/

Hope to see some of you there.

Cheers, Lisa

*Re-imagining the tropics: Sites and networks of knowledge
IAG Conference Session, James Cook University, 27-30 September 2009
Session organisers: Lisa Law, James Cook Uni & Katherine Gibson, ANU *

The terms ‘tropics’ and ‘tropicality’ are re-emerging in scholarly
debate across a range of academic disciplines (geography, history,
anthropology). In Euro-American research in particular, there has been a
return to the archives of ‘tropical geography’ as conceptualised
throughout the 19th and 20th centuries and formalised in the immediate
post-WWII period. Some have focused attention on the formation of
tropical knowledges in the colonial and post-WWII archives (eg Arnold
1998, 2000, 2006; Driver 2004; Bowd and Clayton 2005), while others
chart the circulation of tropical knowledges through cinema (Law et al
2007) and academic books and journals (Power and Sidaway 2004;
Grundy-Warr et al 2003). Some scholars examine how tropical knowledges
shape historical and contemporary practices of fieldwork (Driver and
Martins 2005; Corbridge and Mawdsley 2003), and Australian researchers
are beginning to interrogate planning policies for the contemporary
tropical city (Luckman et al forthcoming). Drawing on these ideas, but
in a postcolonial context of multiculturalism and global connectedness,
this session aims to:

· Re-cast the tropics not as ‘geography’ but as ‘discourse’ of knowledge
and power
· Examine the texts, institutions, technologies and practices that help
define and produce tropical regions as knowable geographies
· Consider the tropics as a network rather than bounded geography

We welcome papers with these general themes, as well as those that more
broadly articulate with debates about ‘tropicality’. Please contact Lisa
Law ([log in to unmask]) and/or Katherine Gibson
([log in to unmask]) if you are interested in presenting in the
session.

James Cook University
PO Box 6811
Cairns QLD 4870