Jared Diamond Sued for Libel

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ijuNuswjdvvJVa7STHhG7BFbwNdgD97NNPMG0

Two tribesmen from New Guinea have sued Jared Diamond for defamation, saying that an article he wrote for The New Yorker falsely states that they committed murder and other crimes. The article was about traditions of vengeance. Diamond -- whose books are taught at many colleges -- is a professor of geography at the University of California at Los Angeles. A spokeswoman for The New Yorker declined to discuss the specifics of the case, but said: "We stand by our story; we stand by Jared Diamond."

Dr. Simon Batterbury, Director,
Office for Environmental Programs,
University of Melbourne, 3010 VIC, Australia.
+61 (03) 8344 5073 Fax: +61 (03) 8344 5650
http://www.environment.unimelb.edu.au <http://www.environment.unimelb.edu.au/>
&
Associate Professor, Dept. of Resource Management and Geography,
(rm L2.33, 221 Bouverie St)
+61 (0)3 8344 9319 Fax +61 (0)3 9349 4218
simonpjb@ unimelb.edu.au http://www.simonbatterbury.net <http://www.simonbatterbury.net/>