CGF start date? Does anyone remember exactly when the CGF list was created?  The earliest posting in the CGF archive is from Joe Painter on 20 March 1996, but it is clearly not the first posting to the list.

I’m currently writing a little potted history of critical geography and I’m trying to understand the relationship between the RGS-IBG merger, Shell sponsorship, and creation of the CGF.  If anyone has a memory for these matters, I’d be very grateful if you could get in touch with me by email.  It might be useful to keep this discussion on the list, as it could spur old memories (and it might remind some of us why we are part of this coalitional thing called ‘critical geography’).

I’m quite familiar with the Ethics Place and Environment special forum on the Shell/RGS issue organised/guest edited by David Gilbert, but want to get some more specific details on the rise of the CGF, and thus the institutionalization in the UK of ‘critical geography’ as a well-recognized term.  There is lots in the CGF archive that points to the development of the International Critical Geography Group, but nothing to give me a hint about the formation of the CGF list itself.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Lawrence

--
Lawrence D. Berg, D.Phil.
Co-Director

Community, Culture and Global Studies
University of British Columbia
3333 University Way
Kelowna, BC, Canada, V1V 1V7
Voice: +1 250.807.9392, Fax: +1 250.807.8001
Email: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
WEB: http://www.chrdi.org/ldb/index.html

Editor: ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies
http://www.acme-journal.org

Co-Leader: BC Disabilities Health Research Network
http://www.dhrn.ca