If you are uncertain, just freeze your buffer :-)
Very old trick from the stone age of crystallography.

Long time ago ~ 1999 I cryoed one crystal with 1.5 M hexanediol but
there was also 10% glycerol around.

Jürgen

On 2 Apr 2009, at 14:56, HanJie_Heng Chiat Tai wrote:

> Hi, Jim,
>
> What's the concentration? I know that [hexanediol] between 2.5 - 3.4
> M no additional cryoprotectant is required.
>
> But in my case my hexanediol conc is only 2.1 M
>
> Rgds,
> HengChiat Tai (HanJie)
>

> > Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 13:11:27 -0500
> > From: [log in to unmask]
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> > CC: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] cryoprotectant for 1,6 hexanediol
> >
> > The cryoprotectant is 1,6 hexanediol.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, HanJie_Heng Chiat Tai wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > I have a crystal grown in 2.1M 1,6 hexanediol/0.1 M tro-sodium
> citrate (pH 6.5).
> > >

> > > What's the cryoprotectant can be used to flash cool this crystal?
> > >

> > > Any online protein crystal cryoprotectant database or published
> literature available I can check with to determine to type and
> concentration of the cryoprotectant used for my crystal.
> > >

> > > HengChiat Tai

> > > Rediscover Hotmail®: Get e-mail storage that grows with you.
> > > http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Storage1_042009
>
> Rediscover Hotmail®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox.
> Check it out.

-
Jürgen Bosch
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, W8708
615 North Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21205
Phone: +1-410-614-4742
Fax:      +1-410-955-3655