Theoretically, citric acid can decompose into beta-ketoglutaric acid, and
the latter may decarboxylate into malonic acid...

Not sure if this happens in aqueous solutions, but if your citrate had
malonate contamination and your enzyme prefers malonate to anything else -
that's where it may have come from.

Pure speculation, of course!

Artem