I think actually *naming* the proteins would be too extreme. Even the
current alpha-numeric system is overwrought. I liked it better when we
just called proteins "p75" or "p105". For instance, how many proteins
in the human genome are 75 kD, anyway? My guess is not enough to make
the situation ambiguous in any catastrophic way.