For those who are still following this discussion...

Following a comment by James, I clarify my previous statement about

> "the limiting case when the total mass of the crystal is very large
> with respect to the mass of one photon"

I meant of course the "relativistic mass" of one photon [which is given
by  h/(\lambda c)]. The rest mass of a photon is of course zero.

A photon of \lambda = 1 Angstroem has a relativistic mass of the order
of 10^{-32} kg. Certainly much smaller than the mass of even a
nano-crystal...

I was really just re-phrasing what Arthur Compton wrote in the quoted
paper [read the sentence just after his equation (9)].

--
Marc SCHILTZ      http://lcr.epfl.ch