While CNS manual says that masks can be generated both as cns map and O
mask, the model_mask.inp script does not have an option in define
section to switch the formats.  (My guess is that this is because these
scripts were written when one ring still ruled them all - his fingers
instinctively type s-a-i).  So, if you want to generate mask in the CNS
map format which Coot can read, you'll need to go below the dreaded
"things below this line do not normally need to be changed" line.
Namely, change the "type=omask" line at the very bottom of the script to
"type=cns".  If you are comfortable with running cns_solve
interactively, just read in the mask in O format and then write it out
in CNS format.

Alternatively, I think MAPMAN (another excellent command-line based
program of yore - his fingers instinctively type re m1 model.map CNS)
can convert the O mask to any other map format.

Yet another possibility if to write out fbulk and convert the file to
MTZ - then you can load it into coot.

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore