Isn't there supposed to be a playfulness involved in avant garde work?

All i am interested in is making the language original, the wordplay different.
Chris Hamilton emery on an entry at poets on fire today, stated:

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Poets_On_Fire/index.php?showtopic=1478

"British avant-garde sales have dropped from a high in the early millennium
of around 200 units first year sales (for most, not all) to around 50 or so,
sometimes less. We just presumed that those buying the avant-garde were
buying other poets or other poetry or simply buying elsewhere. There used to
be a general market for British avant works (never much taste for it in the
USA), that's disappeared for us now. It's making it almost impossible,
commercially, for us to publish new avant garde talent. Some books have no
demand at all now. It's just all dried up for us, really. I guess that happens."

~

When Hugo Ball and Tristan Tzara were being berated by audiences in Zurich
for their sound poetry, they were in the centre of the artistic storm
because they had rejected the forms of the past and were making up their own
and the initial reaction by most was, what are theyu doing? No doubt there
were many who found their *tone* offensive.

What is the internet for?

My learning coincided with the rise of the web. It is all i have known and i
use it as a blank canvas, a free space to *practice* in the purest sense of
rehearsing and as Beckett thought about failing better and Bernstein does, a
place *up for grabs* and where i can fail and learn.

I have always thought it strange, that some people complain about certain
text which appear online that's not to their taste, or find the content's
*tone* not to their liking. If you don't like it, scroll past or do not read
it. Here we are, physically removed from one another, words in space, no
threat and doing zero physical damage and still, still we find offensive
stuff that in the grand scheme of humanity, is not even the feather dropping
in the Grand Canyon - we the avant garde.

We all take ourselves very seriously, when Hamilton Emery's facts suggest,
no one else does. Lighten up.

And only having practiced online, I have developed a unique practice,
surfing round the lamposts on a round and extemporising texts. I see
something and react, as I did to Side's Jacket piece, and what I've always
found interesting in online poetry circles, is that online discourse is
thriving with the younger lot who have no experience of print publishing,
and the senior bores fashioned by it, restrict their serious talk to paper.

The world's changing, print publishing will soon be the poor relation of the
net i think and the net is a place conducive to conversation and diatribe,
polemic and a less formal more humanly honest speech..